Still Taking a Pre-Workout Powder? These 3 Coffee Recipes Will Help You Reconsider
Let’s face it, sometimes you just don’t want to work out.
Maybe you worked late the day before, or your to-do list is 17 items long, or your kids woke you up in the middle of the night and you barely got any sleep.
For most of us this is a fairly common occurrence, and for one reason or another we just don’t feel motivated to get our workout in for the day.
But I have a solution and it’s much easier than you think…
That’s right, with enough of this wonder drug you can go from dreading the weight room to smashing your deadlift PR in no time.
It’s why every supplement store is filled with those pre-workout powders sporting crazy names and flashy labels.
Because it works.
And if you’re like me you’ve tried most of them. But somewhere along the way I started to wonder if it was a good idea to be drinking a powder with 400+mg of caffeine from a handful of different, unknown sources.
I mean, is it really smart to drink something that says “WARNING: Not for people under the age of 18” followed by an entire paragraph of different reasons not to take it?
I think not.
But I have good news, there’s an all-natural, heart healthy, antioxidant packed solution to this entire problem. Coffee!
And here’s the best part…you’ll never have to worry about testing positive for amphetamines from unlisted ingredients. Unlike most supplements, coffee is regulated by the FDA so you know exactly what you’re getting.
Plus, there’s only one ingredient: roasted coffee beans. That’s it. And with so many different roasts and brewing styles you’re sure to find a combination that works for you.
(Photo: Gabe Madrid @Gabe.madrid.stft)
But will coffee really give you the boost that you’re looking for?
Studies have shown that drinking coffee prior to exercise increases physical performance, especially when taken 30-60 minutes prior to a workout.
And while it may not give you that face tingling, all-consuming buzz it will help with higher energy and sharper mental focus.
Not to mention the peace of mind that comes with knowing that coffee actually helps you live longer.
So, if you’re ready to make the switch from mystery powders to roasted beans (and I’m guessing you are since you’re reading a coffee blog), then read on…
Here are three different recipes you can use to get your workouts off on the right foot.
Recipe #1: The Purist.
Nothing complicated here, but sometimes keeping it simple is the best way to go. If you’re crunched for time or just don’t want to spend 15 minutes making your coffee this is the one for you.
All you need is quality coffee, a drip coffee maker and the following supplies:
- A 2 tbsp. scoop
- Filtered water
- 1 cone filter
From there it’s simple. Here are the steps:
- Add your desired amount of filtered water to the coffee maker.
- Divide the amount of water that you add by two to determine how much coffee you should add. So…
- 10 Cups= 5 scoops
- 6 Cups= 3 scoops
- 4 Cups= 2 scoops
Any less than that and you’ll be drinking brown water.
Any more than that and every sip will kick you straight in the teeth (Not necessarily a bad thing!).
From there it’s up to you.
If you’re hardcore, drink it black and proceed to dominating your workout. If not, try adding a touch of heavy whipping cream.
Either way, as long as you avoid adding sugars and artificial sweeteners, you’ll still be good to go.
Recipe #2: The All-Natural Launch.
This one is perfect if you find yourself getting hungry mid-way through your workout or before lunch. It’s enough to keep you full and energized throughout the morning and helps to avoid cravings.
It’s also Keto friendly with high fat and no added sugars.
Here’s what you need to start:
- As always, start with quality coffee (Obviously I recommend Launch Coffee.) For this recipe you can brew the coffee however you choose. I usually do drip, but it’s up to you.
- 1 tbsp unsalted grass-fed butter
- Fill a 1/3 cup half full of heavy whipping cream.
- 1 small spoonful of organic virgin coconut oil (unrefined)
- A Splash of pure vanilla extract
Once the coffee is done brewing, throw all the ingredients in a blender and mix them up until it’s smooth. Then enjoy!
This is one that you may want to drink at least 45 mins before your workout to make sure that you aren’t too full.
Recipe #3: Cold Brew
This one’s great for two different occasions:
- The summer day when just thinking about drinking hot coffee makes you sweat.
- Those times when you’re running late and you want a quick hit before the gym. The cold temperature makes it easy to chug if needed and the stronger brew provides a great kick to get you going.
Cold brew is a little bit more in depth than the previous two options, but the results are worth the wait. Just make sure you prepare this recipe at least one day before you intend to drink it.
Here’s what you need:
- 8 oz of ground coffee. This equates to 16 tablespoons. (Preferably the Caffeinate and Conquer Medium Roast)
- 8 cups (64 oz) of water.
- 1 Cheese Cloth for straining.
- A jar with a lid that’s big enough to hold the entire mixture.
Here’s how to make it:
- Pour the 8 oz of coffee into your jar.
- Fill the jar with 8 cups of cold water and stir until the coffee and water are thoroughly mixed.
- Attach the lid and store the mixture in the refrigerator for 18 hours.
- After 18 hours bring the jar out and strain the liquid using the cheesecloth. You’ll be left with coffee concentrate, which may or may not need to be diluted depending on your taste preferences.
- Serve over ice or chug and go. Either way your day will be successfully launched.
Now it’s up to you. The ball is in your court. I’ve given you my top three recipes for getting your workout launched in the right direction.
And while this is by no means a complete list of recipes, I hope that you will find one that you enjoy.
For you hardcore coffee people, the purist will be the way to go.
The All-Natural Launch is perfect for anyone who needs more than just caffeine with their coffee. Its high fat, low sugar makeup is also keto friendly.
And last but not least, cold brew is a great option for those days that you don’t feel like sweating through your shirt on the way to the gym.
Now it’s time to execute.
Pick your recipe, enjoy it, and then smash your workout and repeat. Simple right?
So…here’s a toast to strong coffee, tough workouts and days fueled by Launch.
Now it’s time for your feedback…did I leave anything out? Which of these recipes helps you power through your toughest workouts?